Samsung Electronics - Samsung Galaxy S3 "Bricked" after auto update from manufacturer
My Samsung Galaxy S3 was working perfectly ever since yesterday evening when I arrived home from work. I looked at the phone and noticed it was asking to do a wifi update to the newest version. I accepted the update and monitored the download. Upon completion, it said it would need to restart and I agreed. After the restart, the phone booted up to the point where the Samsung logo displayed and was stuck. I waited for about 20 minutes and the logo stayed, illuminated. I tried a soft reset, but it came to the same point and froze again. I read online to go to the recovery mode and do a hard reset and wipe the system back to factory default, so I did this a well. I rebooted the phone and I was back to the Samsung logo again and stuck. I ended up taking the phone to the AT&T service center to find out if I was still within the 1 year warranty period and wouldn't you know it, my one year warranty expired last month. Kinda makes me think Samsung is behind this. Anyways, the people at the store were nice enough to hook the phone up to their system and reset everything and install the new update. After the update was complete and the phone was restored, the tech said that she had never seen this before....Apparently the phone did not accept the reset and she called the phone a "brick" - whatever that is. She said that the phone has an internal data problem and that the phone is unfixable even if I sent it to Samsung for repair. WTH! The phone was working perfect and now an update renders it useless? That can't be.
I spent countless hours on cellular forums trying to see if there was a fix to this issue. I am not technical in the least bit, but I figured it was worth a shot since now my excellent phone was useless except for as a paperweight. I was told to download a program called Odin and to upload a previous os version to the phone. I did what I was told by an online community and wouldn't you know it, my phone was fixed. This proves that Samsungs update caused my issues and forced me to purchase a new phone, the Galaxy S4 for the non-renewal price of around $500. How often does Samsung do this to other people? How easy is it for them to send you an update to render your phone useless? According to the lady at the AT&T Service Center, updates damage phones quite often, so this can't just be happening to me.
Phone Information: Samsung Galaxy S3 Model: SGH-I747 16GB
What my phone was showing after the update...
Recovery Mode Information:
Image: Dead Robot with Red Triangle (!)
E:failed to mount / system (no such file or directory
can't mount ' /system(no such file or directory)
E:failed to mount /data (No such file or directory)
can't mount '/data' (No such file or directory)
" " /system "
" " /cache "
" " mount/cache/recovery/log
" ' open/cache/recovery/log
And on and on and on.....
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "Dome melted and contacted company. Was offered replacement at a price and willing to pay but never received reply. Sent my shipping info but contact person said wasn't received. sent..."
- "I'VE NEVER DROPED THIS DOME! I'VE CARED FOR IT SINCE PURCHASE. THE SPLITS IN THE DOME ARE FROM COOKING ONLY. I purchased my oven when you only received one for the..."
- "Samsung S3 purchased June 2012. Motherboard failed 21st December 2012. Took to repair station, who said they couldn't repair and sent to Samsung. Eventually returned on 10th January 2013. Noticed..."
- "Lost prevention beat down a customer inside the store accusing of stealing wich is all bull other wise they would it press charges isn't that weird?..."
- "Purse arrived damaged, quality is *** and not what was pictured. They will not refund my money. What can we do to get them to refund my money? ..."
- "I was initially encouraged hiring this company after hiring an independent housekeeper didn't work out. I work two jobs and am often out of the house 18 hours a..."
- "I ordered something on ali express and made payment through my debit card. Amount got debited from my account. but i cancelled order before verification. although payment has been made..."
- "These outfitters should be shut down due to unsafe practices and placing the public at risk. There place of business is in shambles, failing practically every code, they don't require..."
- "Purchased a 6.5 ft Aspen Silver Fir Tree with Candlelight bulbs, received a tree with clear LED and one strand of Candlelight. See picture, Yellow Candlelight bulbs on bottom, clear..."