Samsung Electronics - Samsung Galaxy S3 "Bricked" after auto update from manufacturer
My Samsung Galaxy S3 was working perfectly ever since yesterday evening when I arrived home from work. I looked at the phone and noticed it was asking to do a wifi update to the newest version. I accepted the update and monitored the download. Upon completion, it said it would need to restart and I agreed. After the restart, the phone booted up to the point where the Samsung logo displayed and was stuck. I waited for about 20 minutes and the logo stayed, illuminated. I tried a soft reset, but it came to the same point and froze again. I read online to go to the recovery mode and do a hard reset and wipe the system back to factory default, so I did this a well. I rebooted the phone and I was back to the Samsung logo again and stuck. I ended up taking the phone to the AT&T service center to find out if I was still within the 1 year warranty period and wouldn't you know it, my one year warranty expired last month. Kinda makes me think Samsung is behind this. Anyways, the people at the store were nice enough to hook the phone up to their system and reset everything and install the new update. After the update was complete and the phone was restored, the tech said that she had never seen this before....Apparently the phone did not accept the reset and she called the phone a "brick" - whatever that is. She said that the phone has an internal data problem and that the phone is unfixable even if I sent it to Samsung for repair. WTH! The phone was working perfect and now an update renders it useless? That can't be.
I spent countless hours on cellular forums trying to see if there was a fix to this issue. I am not technical in the least bit, but I figured it was worth a shot since now my excellent phone was useless except for as a paperweight. I was told to download a program called Odin and to upload a previous os version to the phone. I did what I was told by an online community and wouldn't you know it, my phone was fixed. This proves that Samsungs update caused my issues and forced me to purchase a new phone, the Galaxy S4 for the non-renewal price of around $500. How often does Samsung do this to other people? How easy is it for them to send you an update to render your phone useless? According to the lady at the AT&T Service Center, updates damage phones quite often, so this can't just be happening to me.
Phone Information: Samsung Galaxy S3 Model: SGH-I747 16GB
What my phone was showing after the update...
Recovery Mode Information:
Image: Dead Robot with Red Triangle (!)
E:failed to mount / system (no such file or directory
can't mount ' /system(no such file or directory)
E:failed to mount /data (No such file or directory)
can't mount '/data' (No such file or directory)
" " /system "
" " /cache "
" " mount/cache/recovery/log
" ' open/cache/recovery/log
And on and on and on.....
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "This is what my Samsung Refrigerator model RS265TDRS did to my house. It killed my dog Ruffy and cat Amy. And all my fish. Something has to be done about..."
- "We should have just bought the Brother printer! We're a couple engineers that occasionally work from home and run a small community so we though we'd get ourselves a top of..."
- "I got lured in to buying a tv here because of the price..i think we all do. Nowhere did it say they were re-sellers of refurbished product. I bought..."
- "Purchased from Home Depot a RO water filtration system, it leaked and caused damage. They sent plumbers to repair it a few times and the damage under the sink cannot..."
- "HEY EVERYONE PLEASE DO THIS SO WE CAN GET THE WORD OUT THERE TO LET MORE PEOPLE KNOW THIS IS A SCAM If you been scammed by preview models please..."
- "I signed a contract with Re-Bath 8 months ago and I am still waiting for my project to be completed and the repairs done to the areas they damaged during..."
- "I seen someone on OkCupid and reported to them. The next working day I found myself deleted from the website, I tried to ask them why but couldn't connect..."
- "I bought a red leather couch. It was on sale at $1500. Regular over $2000. I thought I was buying a leather couch that would last for..."
- "This is the 3rd time second time I received such bad service at 2808 N. Sam Houston Parkway location in Houston, Texas.The first time, I ordered a chicken sandwich, they..."